Dear Father Christmas,
Here is my wish list for this year. I hope that you can help me with some of these, I would love to find them under my tree.
Your friend, Ding.
10. That frozen glassware could be banished forever.
9. That the archaic, asinine tipping ‘system’ in US bars would disappear overnight (it’s not a ‘system’ at all and not even people that have lived here all their lives know what to do with it).
8. That the few, missing place reviews from my old beeradvocate.com account, would mysteriously turn up in my email inbox.
7. That hipsters would stop talking to me about beer (in fact, if hipsters stopped talking about anything then that would do the job nicely).
6. That I could walk to (or even take public transport from my house to) a great drinking establishment.
5. That somebody would offer me a job in the beer industry (that’s one with a close to six figure salary plus benefits and not one at $2.13 per hour).
4. That I could find a bar that PERMANENTLY has at least one cask of well kept, low-hopped, sub 4% beer pouring.
3. That the misuse of the term ‘session beer’ in the USA would terminate.
2. That there is a complete culture change in US beer geekdom, where the emphasis is shifted from the extreme and sensational EVERYTHING, to a subtle, ubiquitous weaving of beer into everyday life in a matter-of-fact way. (I think that means that I want America become the UK in terms of beer!).
1. That I could find my inner ‘beer peace’ in the USA. Still looking.